by Colleen Russell“>Colleen Russell
January is the most popular month of the year for Cleanses and Detox Diets. It’s no wonder why: the beginning of a new year has the wonderful feeling of starting fresh, beginning anew, and making changes for the better. Doesn’t it feel amazing to just let go?
As with anything that reaches the realm of the popular, though, all this talk about Detox can get pretty confusing. You may be wondering, what exactly should I be detoxifying? What do I need to cleanse? What do I have to gain or to lose? Since we love a good detox, we thought it was important to remove the veil of mystery from this particular topic, and to share some of our favorite natural tools to detoxify the body and clear the mind.
What Is Detox?
Detoxification is a natural process whereby your organs and immune system process and eliminate toxins from your body. It is the digestive system eliminating waste, the lymphatic system filtering bacteria from lymph fluid, and the kidneys filtering toxins from the blood. Detox is a part of every living cell in the body. So, if it is such a natural process, why do we need to help it along?
Because our bodies were not designed to live like this.
We work too hard, we eat too much, too little, or just the wrong things. Our world is polluted, from the air we breathe to the water we drink and the soil we use to grow our crops. This world is just too toxic for the human body to to detoxify on its own.
What Can We Do To Detoxify Our Bodies?
So many things! Detox is not necessarily about weight loss, energy boost, cleaning the colon, or preventing cancer (although those are some pretty enticing benefits). Listed below are easy things you can do daily to help your body eliminate toxins naturally. Detox is about the same feeling you are given after the ball drops on New Year’s Eve: a clean slate, a fresh start, and the opportunity to begin anew.
Top 5 Ways To Detox:
- Drink more pure water. If you do nothing else, this one step can move mountains in terms of boosting your physical health and removing toxins from your body. The National Institute of Health estimates that 48% of the adult population of the United States is chronically dehydrated. Water plumps up the body’s tissues, creating an internal space that allows blood platelets to separate and for trapped toxins to wash away. Filtered water, which is free of bacteria, pesticides, and other contaminants, is best.
- Infuse your drinks with chlorophyll! Adding a 3 gram scoop a day of Chlorella powder to your morning smoothie or juice will infuse your body with 90 mg of bioavailable Chlorophyll. This all-natural plant-derived greens powder is proven to bind to metals, assisting with heavy-metal detox. Our favorite is Perfect Chlorella.
- Try a fulvic/humic acid mineral cleanse. Fulvic and humic acid are proven to remove toxic metals from the blood, speeding up biochemical reactions, unblocking lymphatic passageways, and preventing cognitive impairment. Products such as GHC’s Zeotrex are easy to add to your daily routine without making sweeping dietary changes.
- Colloidal Silver is a simple, relatively inexpensive, and perfectly safe method for detox. It is non-toxic, but an effective method of destroying toxic organisms, bacteria, viruses, and even free radicals. Sovereign Silver Bioactive Silver Hydrosol is Nourishing World’s recommendation for a safe, effective Colloidal Silver Detox.
- Bentonite clay is volcanic ash that binds to toxins in our body so they can be easily eliminated. All over the globe and for centuries, many cultures have been using bentonite clay to promote healing and overall good health. We like Sonne’s #7 Bentonite Clay Detoxificant because it is rich in minerals and free from impurities.
Stay tuned for more information on detox, specific detox diets tailored to your needs, and more information on how to stay healthy and toxin-free. If you’re ready to get started on a detox plan now, try the 3 Day Detox Jumpstart from Dr. Oz and Dr. Junger, of the Clean Detox Plan.