Take Action Today: Join Green America in fighting against the introduction of genetically engineered wheat.
The USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service is seeking comments regarding proposed changes to regulations of GE wheat field trials. Nourishing World is urging friends, followers, and customers to speak up to protect wheat crops. Why should this concern you?
- Genetically modified foods have not been proven to be safe for consumption. There have been no long-term studies proving their safety in humans.
- Wheat is one of the few major crops thus far unaffected by genetic engineering. Soy and corn are already genetically modified. Wheat is a primary food source for more than 1/3 of the world population, so genetic modification of wheat will affect billions of people.
- Genetic modification will increase the use of chemical pesticides which are toxic to health and to the environment. Because wheat is grown on so much land throughout the world, this will have widespread effects for not only wheat consumers but also the large percentage of the world’s population who live near wheat fields and watershed areas.
- When GE wheat is field tested, the wheat crops of nearby farmers are contaminated. This has already affected fields in Oregon and Montana. Tighter regulations would allow non-GMO and organic farmers to maintain the integrity of their wheat crops.
- For the past couple of years, both Europe and Japan have refused to accept wheat imports from the US because of contamination by experimental GMO wheat. This has a serious financial impact on farmers growing wheat in the Great Plains.
Urgent: Stand Up to Monsanto Before It’s Too Late!
There is only one week left to make your voice heard and put a stop to genetically engineered wheat. Green America has created a Stop GE Wheat letter to make it super easy to comment — just fill in your name & email and a letter will automatically be sent to President Obama and Secretary Vilsack.
You can also write your own comment here or mail a letter to:
Docket No. APHIS-2015-0070, Regulatory Analysis and Development, PPD, APHIS, Station 3A-03.8, 4700 River Road Unit 118, Riverdale, MD 20737-1238
Make sure your comment is received before 10/26/15 to be considered.
Act Now to Stop GMO Wheat
You can sign here to have Green America forward a letter to the USDA on your behalf:
Please sign before 10/26/15.
View the Federal Register notice for more details.
I signed, did you?